|THE FRADU HUNTERS|
|HAWKER HUNTER T.7 XL601 - '874'|
|XL601's service history
XL601 was one of forty five Hunter T.7s built by Hawker Aircraft Ltd at its Kingston-upon-Thames factory, taking its first flight on 15th October 1958 at the hands of David Lockspeiser.
On 8th October 1984, XL601 was officially transferred to Royal Navy charge, and prepared for entry into Fleet Air Arm service, a process that included a refinish into dark sea grey livery. It arrived at RNAS Yeovilton on 24th January 1985, where it joined the Fleet Requirements and Air Direction Unit (FRADU) fleet originally as aeroplane '879', but this was changed to '874' a couple of years later. It remained in use at FRADU, aside from a spell at Hurn receiving an overhaul with Lovaux in July/August 1990, until its final military flight on 25th March 1993, when it was ferried to RNAS Culdrose. Relegated to ground instructional duties and issued the maintenance identity 'A2617' XL601 was maintained in serviceable condition and used by the SFDO (School of Flight Deck Operations) until being withdrawn in 1996.
[© Adrian Balch]
[© John Hale]
XL601's civilian life
The aeroplane was sold in February 1997, and was moved by road to Exeter on 23rd May by the Classic Jet Aircraft Company. Placed in store, the aeroplane was dismantled and moved by road to Belgium in January 1999. Placed on the UK civilian register as G-BZSR in February 2001 to Stick and Rudder Aviation, a restoration programme was begun at Weelde Airbase. Unfortunately progress on the airframe slowed and the project eventually stopped, XL601 was then placed in store.
Today, XL601 is under the care of the Brussels Air Museum, and it is currently in store pending restoration. Its civilian registration has been cancelled and it appears that its flying days are over, at least for the foreseeable future.
- January 2015
[© Wings over Belgium web-site]
[Return to top of page]